Conference Day One: Tuesday, 28 November 2017
8:00 AM - 8:30 AM REGISTRATION AND WELCOME COFFEE
8:40 AM - 9:10 AM Opening Keynote Address: An Overview of the Hotel Industry and Future Outlook from Accommodation Association AustraliaRichard Munro, CEO, Accommodation Association of Australia
As the current hotel landscape continues to evolve, this session will bring you up to date on the latest breaking political developments, trends in the industry, trade, tourism, brands, locations and much more.
Accommodation Association of Australia
9:10 AM - 9:50 AM Lessons Learnt from Designing a Work of Art with its Own Creator, Story and Identity at Hotel Not Hotel AmsterdamBruno Bont, Co-Founder and CEO, Hotel Not Hotel Amsterdam
Hotel Not Hotel is a place in Amsterdam where a room isn’t just a room, but a work of art with its own creator, story, and identity. The experience is part hotel, part art installation. Each room is hidden behind a fantastical facade, making every single one feel like its own special hideaway. With quirky designs, hidden doors and a small van to sleep in, Bruno will enlighten you into how he created this fascinating hotel and what he would do differently for his next creation.
- An overview of choosing a location, getting finance and the development phase of building the hotel.
- Addressing the challenges encountered, what they did wrong, and what they would do differently next time.
- Approaching design in a different way though technology and creating an experience that people love.
- Creating a vision and ensuring it works operationally.
Bruno BontCo-Founder and CEO
Hotel Not Hotel Amsterdam
9:50 AM - 10:20 AM Thought Leadership Session
10:20 AM - 10:40 AM Speed Networking Session
A structured interactive session designed to help you expand your network through one-on-one focused conversations. Bring your business cards!
10:40 AM - 11:10 AM MORNING TEA AND NETWORKING BREAK
11:10 AM - 11:50 AM An Architects View on the Emerging Trends of the Hotel IndustryRussell Lee, Director, Cox Architecture
As the industry evolves and the traveler's perception of a hotel experience changes, this presentation will provide an insight into hotel trends, what designs are we leaving behind and an outlook on future design trends.
- Focusing on hotel design as a primary driver for competitive advancement.
- Thinking about programed spaces to create social interaction and engagement within the hotel.
- Creating an out of the box style for boutique hotel design, what have we left behind and what might come.
- Addressing the challenging aspects of design and development.
11:50 AM - 12:30 PM The Planning, Design and Development Journey of The Old Clare HotelTimo Bures, General Manager, The Old Clare Hotel
This 62 room boutique hotel has been constructed from Heritage listed sites The Clare Hotel Pub and the Carlton & United Breweries Administration Building. With obsessive attention to aesthetics and concern for retaining the interesting features of both buildings, this session will take you on a journey on how this hotel has been restored and is the first Australian hotel from the unconventional Unlisted Collection.
- Designing a property with a different approach that isn’t a maximum revenue churner model.
- Overcoming challenges with council departments, policies and procedures.
- Identifying the steps to personalise the experience of design and development.
- Collaborating with all stakeholders on the design and development of the project to deliver the best concept
12:30 PM - 1:30 PM NETWORKING LUNCH
1:30 PM - 2:20 PM The Development Journey of a Heritage Listed Building at COMO The TreasuryKyle Jeavons, Development Director,, FJM Property
COMO The Treasury is a 48 room contemporary luxury hotel occupying state buildings dating from the mid 19th century. COMO The Treasury opens up the city with new experiences by way of two restaurants, a bar and worldrenowned COMO Shambhala wellness therapies. This session will outline the hurdles and challenges in building with a heritage listed site, and how they have managed to engage with the Perth community through design implementation.
- Highlighting the challenges of working with a heritage listed building to deliver a hotel back to the city of Perth.
- An overview of the design concept of COMO The Treasury and how it fits into the Perth community.
- Creating a peaceful space within a city through design concept and planning.
- Restoring the building to ensure international quality.
- Building a culture amongst the team within a 10 year project to deliver a finished product.
Kyle JeavonsDevelopment Director,
2:20 PM - 2:50 PM PANEL DISCUSSION: Creating a Legacy for the Future Design and Development of the Hotel Experience, , Anneke Brown, General Manager, Como The Treasury Kevin Wallace, Managing Director, Asia Pacific, Dream Hotel Group Michael Smith, Group Operations Manager, 8Hotels Boutique Hotel Co.
- Inspiring strategies for new innovative designs that creates a hotel with long-term value.
- Addressing the pros and cons of modern technology in the hotel.
- How can we build a legacy that is future proof?
- Discussing the impact of millennials and what they want not what we think they want.
- Creating lifestyle hotel and curated spaces.
- Creating and enhancing the experience to appreciate hotel designs.
- Analysing new trends, what’s in and what’s not, what have we left behind?
Kevin WallaceManaging Director, Asia Pacific
Dream Hotel Group
2:50 PM - 3:30 PM The Evolution of a Lifestyle Brand from a Boutique New York Hotel to a Global BusinessKevin Wallace, Managing Director, Asia Pacific, Dream Hotel Group
In this session, Kevin will go through the stages of starting up a lifestyle brand, and how it can evolve into a world-wide brand through managing travelers expectations and continuously evolving.
- Keeping up with the competition through adapting to the customers needs.
- Implementing new technology into the hotel to stay fresh and meet the millennial traveler.
- Understanding how the first concept of a lifestyle brand was created in New York.
- An overview of development plans for the Dream Hotel Group going forward.
- How the operator and architects work with the owner to make it cost effective.
Kevin WallaceManaging Director, Asia Pacific
Dream Hotel Group
3:30 PM - 4:00 PM AFTERNOON TEA AND NETWORKING BREAK
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM Champagne Solution Roundtables
Grab a glass of wine, beer or soft drink and join you industry peers to discuss and work through pressing challenges around the topic of your choice.